Monday, October 18, 2010

Cable Radio 31-35

I'm listening to all of the radio stations on my cable television for 20 minutes and then writing about them.

31) Jazz
I always say I like the first 3 minutes of every jazz song I've heard. It's not for me, it's too repetitive. I know that makes me an unsophisticated listener, I am OK with that. My favorite of the THREE songs I heard in 20 minutes was Dizzy Gillespie's The Mooche. But in 10+ minutes, with Dizzy playing, it makes sense you're going to hear something you like, right?

32) Smooth Jazz
I kind of like Smooth Jazz better than Jazz, it's more melodic. Also I like to say "Smooth Jazz", I say it to my sister's kids when I want them to calm down. But it also strikes me as a little lame too. Kind of like Muzak.

33) Tropicales
Salsa! Fun songs that make you want to dance. Some were too long and repetitive, but you prolly wouldn't notice that if you were dancing. I liked this one; it's so dramatic!



34) Adult Alternative
Ostensibly, this is my kind of music, with the exceptions of John Mayer and Dave Matthews band, which are inescapable, unfortunately. I don't know why some bands get radio play and other's don't. Not John Mayer and DMB, but the smaller ones. I mean, I suppose I do and I could read more, but that would be depressing. I liked this one:



35) Soundscapes
Mostly ignorable New Age, but then this caught my ear - and not in a good way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo_0.39
It's not my kind of thing.

I don't think I've said, but Cable Radio gives you facts about the song or the singer or the time period on the screen while they play the songs. While playing Cynthia Jordan's Childgrove, a Celtic instrumental, I learned that the first song she ever wrote was José Cuervo (You Are a Friend of Mine). That made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment